The fast and efficient disk cataloger and archiver.
Mac OS X 10.6.8, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10 (Yosemite)
Older CDFinder and NeoFinder versions for Mac OS 9, thru 10.5 still available
Also available for iOS!
Updates from CDFinder?
Buy the update here.
All updates require a valid CDFinder user license of the same number of users (or for a cross-grade, a valid license of the other product)
Updates for all other license packs in any size are available, please contact us for an offer!
Product Technical Details:
- Catalog: any hard disk, data folder, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, iPod, Server Volume, Audio-CD, USB-Stick, FTP-Server, and more
- Power: Handle really large amounts of data and catalogs
- Networkable: Share your NeoFinder database in your entire workgroup (requires a Business License)
- Cross-platform: with abeMeda (NeoFinder for Windows), you can use one database for both worlds!
- iOS: Only NeoFinder is also available to the iPhone or iPad!
- Photo Previews: Create beautiful thumbnails for many photo and image formats, such as JPG, TIFF, EPS, RAW, PDF, PSD, BMP, GIF, PNG, TGA, IFF (Maya)
- Movie Thumbnails: For many video files that are supported by QuickTime and possible Plugins, such as: avi, mov, mp4, m4v, mpg, flv, mkv, and so on. NeoFinder doesn’t get the boring first frame of a movie, but a frame from around 20% of the duration of the file. Elgato EyeTV recordings are cataloged, including EPG metadata, and also RED movies ".r3d”. With ffmpeg, you also get thumbnails for many more formats
- Document Thumbnails: Get useful thumbnails for PDF, Microsoft Powerpoint, Apple Keynote, Apple Pages, Adobe InDesign, and Quark XPress documents
- Text Previews: Get excerpts of text documents, such as Microsoft Word, PDF, RTF, TXT, and NFO formats, and even HTML!
- Audio Meta Data: MP3, AAC (iTunes), FLAC (Free Lossless Audio codec), ALAC (Apple Lossless), WAV, BWF (Broadcast Wave Format), and AIFF meta data: author, album, title, composer, lyrics, cover art, track number, duration, bit rate, genre, year, comment, and ISRC. Even catalogs whole Audio-CDs, and Apple iPhone ringtone files!
- Photo Meta Data: XMP (used by Adobe Bridge), EXIF and IPTC meta data (including GPS geotags), and JPG, TIFF, PICT, RAW, and BMP photo details
- Movie Meta Data: get the dimension, duration, codec and frame rate out of movie files, supporting AVI, MOV, MP4, FLV, MPG, 3PG, and M4V
- Geotagging GPS support: NeoFinder catalogs and displays GPS EXIF tags of photos and iPhone movies, and has direct links to Google Earth, Flickr, Panoramio, Google Maps and MapQuest. NeoFinder can even search for photos that were taken near any location (GeoFinder), and export GPS data to KMZ files. Or just geotag you photos directly with NeoFinder
- Workflow Integration: Automatically catalog all discs burned by Roxio Toast; Drag any image directly from NeoFinder into applications like Adobe InDesign, Quark XPress, Apple Pages, Microsoft Office, and much more
- Find it! Best Find functions in the market, and of course offline browsing of all your volumes - even in multiple windows, if you want to
- Spotlight Integration: Search your local disks with Spotlight and as well as your catalogs from inside NeoFinder
- Import Catalogs: These formats are supported: Canto Cumulus and MediaDex (CRE files), WhereIsIt (Windows, XML), DiskCatalogMaker (Text export), TOLIS Group BRU, Cache-A XML files, DiskLibrary, Disk Recall, DiskWizard, Iomega FindIt, Portents DiskTracker (1.x and 2.x), Catalogue, CatFinder, "Neometric" Catalog , Broken Cross Disk Manager (Windows, XML), Advanced Disk Catalog (ADC for Windows, XML), SuperCat for Windows (“.idx” database files), Delicious Library XML, iView MediaPro and Microsoft Expression Media (XML export)
- Fast and really easy to use
- Automatically Update catalogs with a time schedule! (AutoUpdater requires Business License)
- Export and print catalog data
- Insight: Look inside archive files: ZIP, TAR, .rar, StuffIt (.sit and even .sitx), even Disk Image contents
- International: English, German, Japanese, French, Italian, Swedish, Spanish and Dutch user interface, all in one application
- Unicode compatible: Use NeoFinder to catalog file names of any language
- AppleScript: Integrate NeoFinder with FileMaker Pro or any other application, or extend the abilities of NeoFinder
- Extend your NeoFinder catalog database by using five custom fields for any content you need
- FileCheck: Only NeoFinder can generate an industrial strength MD5 checksum for every file being cataloged
- AutoMount: NeoFinder automatically mounts every server volume you have cataloged or updated for you! And you can of course also ask NeoFinder to mount the volume for you at any time, using the context menu
- QuickLook: Open a QuickLook window for any selected online file(s) right from inside NeoFinder! (Leopard and Snow Leopard)
- Cross-Grade: you already bought a different catalog or media asset manager application, ask us for a good offer!
- Free email support
Macwelt, Germany's largest Macintosh magazine, has tested CDFinder 5 in issue December 2007 and found it to be very good!
M.A.C.S (Macintosh Asheville Computer Society, USA) writes in a lengthy review:
"And not just ANY cataloger program but a very good one: "CDFinder".
It's $30 price is well-worth the investment. Integrate it into your backup procedure and it will not only keep track of every file and folder for you but will reveal any item's location in an instant."
Ogle Earth "So what happens when the developer, Germany’s Norbert Doerner, gets bitten by the geotagging bug? Why, he turns CDFinder into a geosearch marvel. You just know this stuff is eventually going to make it into operating systems by default, it’s just that it will take ages."
More editorial reviews...
NeoFinder is the only Mac cataloging software that can do all of this:
- import 20 different catalog or export file types of other applications
- read and actually use exhaustive photo and audio meta data, including IPT, XMP, and EXIF, as well as all GPS geotags
- GeoFinder: search for photos or movies that were taken in any distance to a specific location!
- catalog the contents of 7 different archive formats, including disk image files
- catalog Audio-CDs
- use AppleScript to integrate NeoFinder smoothly into your existing workflow
- also search your local data with Spotlight
- find your data based on every available meta data piece that NeoFinder can catalog
- Automatically Update catalogs with a time schedule (AutoUpdater)
- be used in a cross-platform network with abeMeda for Windows
- be easily integrated into FileMaker Pro solutions
- generate and verify FileCheck values to ensure your data safety
"I'm running it as our main studio filing system for hundreds of CDs in our archives and I just wanted to say that I am really pleased with it." Jonathan J, Australia
"I am very impressed with how you continue improve this software over the years. I have offline data archives going back 12+ years, and have several occasions to pull old data for clients. NeoFinder makes this task painless, I consider it an indispensable tool for my design business. " Mark T. , Colorado, USA
"I love NeoFinder. Having worked in Documentaries for a long time, this is the first time I've been blown away by your app. When shooting Docs, it's really easy to amass tons of footage and finding all of the footage, even though I am organized, was still a monumental task. Right now I am working with about 30 drives and what NeoFinder does in a flash, I used to do by using Excel and Print Window. Thank you, Thank you for creating this. I LOVE it!" Deborah D. , Boston, USA
"I wish I had known about NeoFinder much sooner. It would have saved me a lot of time and money wasted on slow catalogers that "lock out" the user during the scanning process. NeoFinder is so fast and customizable. It is perfect for cataloging not just disk contents and media, but as my Hard Disk Inventory cataloger, as well. Even with all the extras turned off, DiskCatalogMaker can take up to an hour to scan a large disk. NeoFinder took only a few minutes, and I could still use the software while it was scanning. Not only that, and this is most important, the other software does NOT save during nor immediately after scanning. Any error and DiskCatalogMaker would crash and all the work would be lost. DiskTracker chokes on large volumes of 2TB or larger." Doug Ch., Virginia, USA
"I've been a long time user of NeoFinder/CDFinder (15 years?), and it is one of the few pieces of software I own that I know I can rely on and therefore part of my critical arsenal. It always works and keeps getting better and better. NeoFinder stays ahead of the pack in terms of features, reliability and OS compatibility. What more could one ask for. I wish Apple and Adobe had the same integrity and approach to their products." Bryce B. London
"We have been using NeoFinder in our studio for almost 2 years now and love it. Thanks for making such a user friendly and powerful piece of software. We have cataloged over 150TB of media and almost 8 million files." Andrew M. , Nebraska, USA
"We have been using a combination of NeoFinder and abeMeda, both with server licenses, to catalog several hundred hard drives, all quite successfully. Our combined catalogs are over 7GB, covering a library size of 723TB of which 478TB is actual files (21M of them). So that's good!" Chris P., New York, USA
"My Mac technician drew my attention to the new NeoFinder and I have downloaded the trial version. Of course it lives up to the high standards of the previous versions and with Geotagging and auto update, its a beautifully thing ... It is the best way to find files when you have many drives and hundreds of thousands of files." Neil P, Wellington, New Zealand
More customer reviews...